Chapelle des Dominicains ou Chapelle des Pénitents

Chapelle des Dominicains ou Chapelle des Pénitents

In 1443, following the demand of the consuls of the town of Seyne, the Dominican order founded a convent on the butcher’s plot.

The chapel was inaugurated in 1445, and the convent which was attached to the chapel was occupying the building closing the square to the south. During the civil wars of the 16th century, the Huguenots chased away the religious, set fire to the church and pillaged the convent (1585). All that remains of this church is the frontage on the lower street side with its door that we used to reach with a stair that no longer exists. Back to the chapel during the 17th century, the monks re-established the convent (1661) and the chapel (1685), but were again chased away in the course of the French Revolution, and would not come back. The convent then became a school and the chapel was entrusted to the white penitents friary gathering there until their disappearance in the early 20th century.
The church interior decorations were restored in 1996/1998.

Mairie de Seyne

Chapelle des Dominicains,
04140 Seyne

Telephone : +33492350042

Email : [email protected]

Website : www.seyne.fr/

Rates

Free of charge.
Languages spoken
  • French
Alpes de Haute Provence Tourisme patrimoine-culturel/seyne/apidae-la-chapelle-des-dominicains-ou-chapelle-des-penitents-4593459
Fiche au format PDF Imprimer la fiche

Updated on 16/08/2023 – Office de Tourisme Provence Alpes Digne les Bains – Suggest an edit

See also :

Pin It on Pinterest